Temporary residence permit in Belarus

Human Constanta
12 April 2018

If you want to stay in Belarus for a long period of time, thus planning to stay here for more than 90 days (three months) in a calendar year, but you do not have any grounds for obtaining a residence permit, then you can apply for a temporary residence permit in Belarus (hereinafter – TRP).  

Reasons for obtaining a TRP

Reasons for obtaining a TRP in 2018 are the same for citizens of all countries, as well as for stateless persons. Under the law, you can obtain a TRP if you:

  • study or work in Belarus;

  • in a marriage with a foreign citizen, permanently residing in the Republic of Belarus;

  • under the tutelage (guardianship) of a citizen of the Republic of Belarus;

  • Belarusian, but were born outside of modern Belarus. Or your ancestors were born in Belarus;

  • used to have the citizenship of the Republic of Belarus (and, for example, you refused it);

  • own living premises located in the Republic of Belarus;

  • have applied for or have already been granted a refugee status, asylum or additional protection;

  • have circumstances under which you cannot be expelled from the country. For example, you are under state protection. Or maybe in the country of citizenship your life and freedom are endangered;

  • cannot get into any other state. For example, you are a stateless person or a refugee who cannot be expelled elsewhere;

  • you are being treated in a hospital. You can come to Belarus for a long-term hospital treatment and get a TRP for this time.

If you are eligible under one of the above conditions, you need to collect a package of documents and bring it to the Citizenship and Migration Department at the place of your intended residence (schedule and addresses of CMDs).

Documents needed to obtain a temporary residence permit in Belarus

The documents package includes:

  1. Application for the issuance of TRP;

  2. Passport with its notarized translation (if applicable);

  3. Registration at the place of residence (we have earlier wrote about how to obtain it);

  4. Documents confirming one of the grounds for obtaining a TRP. For example, an employment contract or certificate from work, a certificate from an educational institution or documents confirming possession of real estate;

  5. In some cases, you need a lease contract in case you rent an apartment;

  6. Confirmation of the payment of state duty. As of March 2018, the amount of state duty is equal to three basic values. One basic value is 24.5 rubles (~10 EUR). For adolescents under 14 years, foreign investors and those who apply for an asylum, this procedure is free;

  7. Insurance policy. It is necessary for everyone, except for the citizens of CIS countries (Armenia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Republic of Moldova, Republic of Tajikistan, Republic of Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Turkmenistan), as well as those who apply for an asylum or international protection;

  8. If you are a family member of a foreign citizen who also obtains a TRP, you need to provide a letter confirming the legal source of income. For example, an extract from a bank account, an employment contract.

Making a permit takes 15 days. However, if you receive a TRP in connection with the marriage, then the procedure might take up to 30 days. They say, in some cases, it can be issued even in the same day. The permit is a small insert into your passport, with which you usually go abroad. Usually, the permit is issued for no more than a year. If you still have grounds, you can extend it for another year. If you live in Belarus for more than 7 years, while renewing the TRP in time, you can apply for a residence permit.

Reasons to lose TPR

At the same time, remember that you can easily lose a TRP. The reasons for the deprivation can be the following:

  • you left to live to another country;

  • you reported false information in the documents that were filed;

  • it was decided to expel or deport you;

  • you no longer have grounds on which you obtained a residence permit. For example, you lost your job, dissolved your marriage or completed your studies;

  • if the validity of your passport has expired;

  • you have committed the crime;

  • you received more than 5 administrative fines in one year;

  • did not pay a fine on time;

  • if your stay is contrary to national security, public order, health, morality, rights and freedoms of other citizens, in general, if you violate the law.

It is important to remember that by law you are obliged to reside in the place of registration. A district policeman can check this. If he finds out several times that you do not reside there, you may be deprived of a TRP. If you change your place of residence, you must notify the internal affairs agency. You must provide the documents on the registration at the new address.

If you have any legal questions or questions on the rights of foreign citizens in Belarus, write to us at the mail: [email protected] or call to our consultation +375 44 562 38 42.

Enter the correct e-mail address
You have successfully subscribed to our newsletter